Saturday 17 December 2011

My top real food market tip... Buy Bread Last!

Walking down to Roath Real Food Market on a Saturday morning has now become part of my weekly routine. I did make a schoolboy error this morning, though. As I was planning to drive to Bristol in the afternoon and visit a friend, I thought it would be nice to buy a treacle tart to take with me. So I bought this first, along with a loaf of spelt bread (really nice by the way, as was the treacle tart). I then spent the next hour trying to shop for vegetables and Christmas presents whilst balancing a treacle tart in my hand, as it had to lie flat, and trying not to crush the bread. So my tip is - buy the bread last. And the treacle tart.
Whilst I'm on the subject of Christmas presents, in an effort to find gifts that are unique and have a minimal impact on the environment, I bought my mum a lemon tree. I was smugly pleased with my purchase, until it occurred to me on the bus ride home that I'm going to have to keep the tree alive until Friday when I see my mum. Considering that the last plant I had visibly wilted the second I brought it into my apartment, and then died in front of my eyes over the course of two weeks (it's now an empty plant pot on my fire escape), I'm a wee bit nervous. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment