Sunday 8 January 2012

Read the Label!

   In a previous job I was trained to constantly review and reassess everything I do, and it's a habit that I'm very glad to say has stayed with me. So today I had a look back at the top tips for eating a plant-based diet that I first picked up from the Planeat website. After all, I wouldn't want to revert back to any bad habits and take a small step forward and then a massive leap back.
   No 8 on Ann Esselstyn's Principles is to Read Labels. As a vegetarian this is something that I've been doing for years anyway. Even after the V logo was applied to most vegetarian foods in the UK, I still checked the ingredients out of habit. And it's the ingredients that are the important thing to read. Having worked in food retail myself, I know that food packaging can be very deceptive. This is particularly true here in the UK, where laws and rules are a little more relaxed than in other countries such as the USA and Canada. It's easy to think that if something is labelled as 'low fat' or 'diet' then it's better for you. Unfortunately, this is rarely the case. Personally, I try to only eat things that come in a packet if they're wholefoods and as close to their original state as possible.
  If like me, though, you're trying to start change by taking small streps, then the important thing to remember is always read the ingredients. As a general rule, if you can't pronounce it or you don't know what it is, it's probably best to put it back on the shelf.

No comments:

Post a Comment