Saturday 14 July 2012

Allergy Testing

As I've mentioned in previous posts, I've known since childhood that I have food allergies. Unfortunately, not many other people have believed me, including my parents and doctors. One doctor who did listen to me, however, was my doctor when I was living in Rhodes. He advised me to request an allergy test on my return to the UK. Once my laughter had died down, I explained to him that in the UK it's not so easy as walking into a surgery and asking for what you need. This practice seemed crazy to him, and rightly so. Surely it makes more sense, and is much more cost effective, for the NHS to diagnose peoples’ allergies that to repeatedly treat their reactions. Apparently not. According to my wonderful GP, there's no point in me knowing what I'm allergic to. He says that I'll work out my allergies on my own eventually, and even if I know what I'm allergic to I probably won't be able to avoid most of it anyway.

The problem, I believe, is that people who don't suffer from allergies don't understand the affect they have on your body. My main problem is eczema, which is classed as a 'skin allergy'. Most of my reactions are contact reactions, ie things that my skin literally comes into contact with, but eczema is also promoted by food allergies. The assumption by the medical world seems to be that eczema just causes itchy skin, but believe me it has a much greater effect. Everyone is different, but when I have an allergic reaction it makes my whole body feel ill. Sometimes my whole body or parts of it swell up, including my tongue and throat, which can mean I have problems breathing. Sometimes I feel so tired all I'm able to do is curl up on my bed.

As my GP suggested, I have been able to figure out a lot of my triggers through educating myself and omitting certain foods from my diet. Although this method can deliver results, it’s really just trial and error. The phrase ‘needle in a haystack’ comes to mind. Most recently, following a plant- based diet has had a huge positive impact on my health generally. There are some triggers, though, that I don't think I would ever find on my own. I figure that if I haven't worked it out yet (I'm 32 years old) then I'm probably not going to. So, when I saw that my local health food shop was offering private allergy tests, I signed myself up.

Using the Asyra Pro test, a simple and non-invasive machine that looks at your health status, the nutritional therapist was able to answer a lot of my questions that I have been asking for years. All that was required of me was to hold two electrodes and answer a few questions about my health and lifestyle. She seemed pleased that I was already following a plant-based diet. This makes a refreshing change, as most people look at you like you’ve just landed in your spacecraft when you mention that you live a plant-based lifestyle.

Although I’ve always suspected that I have complex food allergies, the results surprised even me. Apparently, if someone has food allergies, the computer usually displays about twenty foods that they are intolerant to. My list contained over forty.

There were some triggers which I would never eat anyway, such as clams, duck and haddock. However, knowing that I am allergic to them could explain some of my severe reactions in the past. Although I wouldn’t eat a clam, if I’ve come into contact with something that has been made near clams, that could explain why in the past I have suddenly blown up like a balloon with no known cause.

Among my other allergies, which I would usually eat but now need to avoid, are cabbage, caffeine (I knew that one already really, I’ve just been hoping I can pretend it’s not true), cane sugar, coconut (not worried about this one, I hate coconut), cucumber, ginger, mango, rice milk (gutted!), mushrooms, nutmeg, onion, pea and raisin. The list goes on, and if I avoided it all completely then there wouldn’t be much left for me to eat. The two main culprits, however, are dairy products and gluten. Dairy products are no surprise, as they are a common trigger for eczema. I remember when I first read that dairy products are not good for eczema sufferers. I was horrified that my doctor had not even suggested I cut down on dairy. I spent most of my childhood in horrific pain as a result of my condition, and my life was greatly affected by it, yet here was a simple solution that all the adults in my life were too stubborn to try. As I’ve been trying to follow a plant-based diet anyway, having a medical reason to give up dairy can only encourage me to be healthier.

The real surprise in my allergy test is that I can’t eat gluten. I’ve long suspected that bread is not good for my skin, but I assumed it was the wheat I was reacting to and not the gluten. This piece of information, I believe, is the key to me solving my food problems. It means I have to give up my beloved oats and replace them with buckwheat and quinoa. I can no longer eat couscous or drink beer, but if I don’t eat gluten then the hope is that my body can begin to repair itself and I can re-introduce some of the other foods into my diet.

When I first signed up for the allergy test, I was apprehensive and worried that I would just be faced with another ‘grown up’ telling me I was lying or trying to get attention and that really there’s nothing wrong with me. What I found, however, was a caring professional who genuinely wants to help me turn my life around. I’ll keep you posted on how the diet changes go.

No comments:

Post a Comment