Tuesday 3 July 2012

The more scientific answer to why soya milk 'flocks'

Whilst doing some research for another post, I got a bit distracted online and came across the answer to a question that I asked last year. When I first switched from dairy to soya milk I found that the milk always looked like it was curdling in my coffee. Through experimentation I discovered that this doesn't happen if you allow the coffee to cool a little before you add the milk. According to the So Good Soya Milk website, this is because coffee is acidic. The two main factors that will cause the milk to separate are the temperature of the water and the strength of the coffee. They do also warn that some percolated and filter coffees are so strong that they will always cause the soya milk to separate. My top tip is to try The Co-operative own brand organic fairtrade filter coffee. It's the only one I've found (so far) that you can add soya milk to straight away, you don't even have to let the coffee cool down. It makes my life a lot easy when I'm in a rush to get my flask ready for work. My morning routine is now: Get up at 5am(ish), put the oatbran on a low heat, fill up the coffee machine, go get ready for work, and when I'm done breakfast is all done and I can fill my flask up straight away.

No comments:

Post a Comment