Monday 16 July 2012

Day 2 of the Buckwheat Challenge

When the nutritional therapist gave me my new food plan, what upset me the most was that I have to give up my beloved oatbran for breakfast. I think I even found that harder than having to cut down on chocolate, alcohol and caffeine. I've grown accustomed to making my oatbran over the past six months, it's become a part of my morning routine.
Gluten-free alternatives to oatbran are rice and millet porridge and buckwheat flakes. I've never heard of rice and millet porridge before, plus I couldn't find it in the health food shops, so I decided to give the buckwheat a go. I was a little concerned. After all, would this new foodstuff be able to replace my love of oatbran? The shop assistant assured me that the buckwheat can be prepared exactly the same as oatbran, or porridge, and apart from a slightly different texture is essentially the same.
The texture certainly is different, although still very tasty. I've also noticed that buckwheat doesn't take as long to heat up if you're making it like porridge. That messed up my morning routine a bit on the first morning, and luckily I thought to check it before it burnt through the pan and set my whole building alight.
So, panic over, I have indeed found a more than suitable substitute for oatbran that is gluten-free. One word of warning, though. Some people have been known to have severe allergic reactions to buckwheat itself, so please check you're not allergic before trying it yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment